Apple has today released iOS 16.4 RC or Release Candidate to developers. iPadOS 16.4 RC is also available for download.
If you are running iOS 16.4 or iPadOS 16.4 beta on your iPhone or iPad, then you can head over to the Software Update section of your device in order to download the new release. The build number for today’s release is 20E246.
With the release of iOS 16.4 RC today, we can expect Apple to release iOS 16.4 to all users fairly soon. It will be interesting to see if today’s Release Candidate becomes the final iOS 16.4 or if Apple ends up releasing a revised version.
Along with iOS 16.4 and iPadOS 16.4 RC, Apple has also released macOS Ventura 13.3 RC, watchOS 9.4 RC, and tvOS 16.4 RC.
Changes in iOS 16.4
iOS 16.4 is going to be a major release that is bringing a number of new changes and improvements to iOS. This includes the following features.
- 21 new emoji for animals, objects, and hand gestures.
- Crash detection optimizations for iPhone 14 series devices.
- Notifications for web apps that have been added to the home screen.
- Voice isolation feature for cellular calls that prioritizes user’s voice while blocking out ambient noise.
- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app.
- Expansion of Duplicates album feature to support duplicate photos and videos found in iCloud Shared Library.
- A new Accessibility feature that allows the device to dim the light when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected on video.
- Bug fixes related to Ask to Buy requests feature Matter-compatible thermostats, and more.